A + A Enlarge Text  |  A-A Restore Text  |  Print Page  |  Email Page
Police Department
BPD Sign-Resized

Beckley Police Department
340 Prince St
Beckley, WV 25801

The Chief
Patrol Division
Detective Bureau
Narcotics Unit
K-9 Unit
Parking Enforcement
Records Division
Municipal Court
Domestic Violence
Highway Safety
Citizens Police Academy
Coffee With a Cop
Drug Take Back Day
Police Officer Recruitment
Fallen Heroes
Report Criminal Activity
Crime Stoppers
Beckley Crime Mapping
Document Center
Contact Information
Crime Prevention
Image Gallery

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. What is the non-emergency telephone number?

A. For inquiries about the Beckley Police Department, please call 304-256-1720. If you need information or non-emergency assistance from a police officer, please call 304-256-1700 to reach our dispatch center and have an officer respond to you.

Q. I received a ticket. Now what do I do?

A. Citizens who have received either a parking or moving violation, should contact the Beckley Municipal Court 304- 256-1719, if they have any further questions or need to make payment arrangements. If you have been ticketed for a moving violation, the Officer will set up a court date which can be found at the bottom of the citation. Appearance in court on that day is mandatory. Failure to appear may result in your license being suspended.

Q. How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

A. The records division at the Beckley Police Department is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week including holidays. You can obtain a copy of your police report as long as you are the complainant or victim. There is a twenty (20) dollar fee for each report. If you want a copy of an accident report, there is a three (3) business day waiting period from the time it was written until it will be available to you.

Q. My car was towed. What do I need to do?

A. Depending on the reason your vehicle was towed there are several answers. If your vehicle was towed for unpaid citations or storing a vehicle on a city roadway, you will need to take care of the citations at the Beckley Municipal Court. If your vehicle was towed for improper registration or no insurance, you will need to get insurance, and the correct registration before it will be released. Once any citations and/or the proper papers have been obtained, you will need to bring proof of ownership and picture identification to the Police Department. The vehicle will only be released to the registered owner. If the registered owner is not able to retrieve the vehicle, he/she can write a notarized letter, including his/her Name, Date of Birth, and Address giving permission for another person to pick up the car.

Q. How can I obtain a background check?

A. Background checks are available at the Beckley Police Department. It is a local check of any records that are found in our data base. You must sign a release provided by the police department, and present a form of official state issued photo identification. You may also have a signed release notarized giving permission for another individual to obtain the information. There is a $20.00 fee charged for this service.

Q. I have information about a crime I believe has occurred or I know the whereabouts of someone wanted for a crime. What should I do?

A. For any crime in progress, call 911. It is helpful if you first provide an exact location, then details of the crime including, if possible, a description of suspects and victims involved. If you have information about a violent felony crime or know the whereabouts of someone wanted for a crime, you are encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at 256-STOP. Callers remain anonymous. If your information leads to the arrest and indictment of a perpetrator for a violent felony crime, you are eligible for case rewards of up to $1,000.

Q. How do I check the status of a case?

A. Call the assigned detective or patrol officer. If you are unable to reach that person after several attempts and he or she does not return your call, ask to speak to the Unit Supervisor.

Q. I think I have a warrant for my arrest obtained from the Beckley Police Department. How do I find out if I do or not?

A. You may contact the Beckley Police Department Records Unit at 304-256-1720. After providing a full name, date of birth and social security number, the clerk will search the records for you.

Q. Do arrest or bench warrants expire?

A. Warrants of arrest, which include both arrest and bench warrants, have no expiration date: they are cleared only when abated by death or when a defendant appears before a judge in the court that issued the warrant.


Q. I think I may be the victim of fraud or a con game. What should I do?

A. If you suspect a fraud or a scam that has occurred in Beckley, do not be embarrassed to call the Beckley Police Department Detective Bureau at 304-256-1708.