2016 Beckley Police Department Citizens Police Academy
2016 Beckley Police Department Citizens Police Academy now accepting applications for 2016
What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
The Citizen's Police Academy is a class coordinated by the Beckley Police Department. The goal of the academy is designed to increase understanding between citizens and the police department through training and exciting hands-on exercises and discussion.
In addition to classroom training, students are given the opportunity to:
- Tour and observe the operations of the Southern Regional Jail
- Do a Ride Along
- Train on a Use of Force Simulator
- Tour and observe the operation of the Emergency Operation Center. (911 Center)
Who can participate?
Beckley and Raleigh County residents, merchants, students who are 18 years of age or older.
A criminal history check will be conducted to verify information provided by the participant.
There is a minimum enrollment of 15 students; the class is subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not met.
When is the Citizen's Police Academy?
The Citizen's Police Academy starts on Thursday March 17, 2016. The academy is ten weeks and will be held on Thursday nights from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the Beckley Police Department.
How do I sign up?
Read all requirements. Complete the application below. Deliver the completed application by mail, fax, or in person to:
Beckley Police Department
Attn: Capt. J.R. Corey
340 Prince St.
Beckley WV, 25801
FAX: (304) 256-1736
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must produce valid photo identification.
- May not presently be under indictment or under an order of protection from the courts.
- May have no felony convictions against them.
- May have no misdemeanor arrests two year prior to the academy entrance date.
- May not have been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.
- Will provide the department with a release for a criminal background investigation.
- Will sign a waiver of liability to participate in the program.
Expectations for Participants
Classes will start promptly at 6:00 P.M. and end at approximately 9:00 P.M.; However, if we run late, or if you have a commitment and must leave, feel free to do so.
No dangerous or deadly weapons are permitted to be carried or concealed by students of the academy.
You can miss two classes and still be eligible to graduate. If you miss more than two classes, you may pick up credit for one week Or, you can make up the week(s) missed during the next academy.(Flexiable)
Information shared with you may be regarded as confidential. Please do not pass on information which may not be appropriate to the general public.
We will ask you to evaluate the academy. The purpose of the evaluation is so we can make improvements in the program. Your ideas and comments are very important to us.
We hope that you enjoy the academy, that you learn a lot, and have fun in the process.
IMPORTANT: while completion of this course gives citizens an understanding of the workings of the Beckley Police Department, it does not make a participant a certified law enforcement officer, nor is it designed to train citizens to perform law enforcement duties.