Citizens Police Academy
Coffee With A Cop
Report Criminal Activity
Beckley Crime Mapping
Police Officer Recruitment
Applicatiion Period Closed Friday, October 10, 2014 at 4:30 p.m
The Beckley Police Department will be accepting applications for the position of
Probationary Police Officer.
Click here for the City of Beckley Residency Requirement Area Map
Application fee can be mailed with application to: City of Beckley, 409 South Kanawha Street, Beckley, WV 25801
Interested individuals may pick up an application from the office of Recorder Treasurer located in the City Hall Municipal Building, 409 South Kanawha Street, Beckley, West Virginia, August 1, 2014 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Study guide info will be provided with application.
$10.00 application Fee
In accordance with the State Code of West Virginia, only those persons 18-40 years of age at the time of application may be considered. Veterans should present a copy of their DD_214 upon application to be considered for veteran’s preference points
Applications will be accepted until, Friday, October 10, 2014 at 4:30 p.m. At Beckley City Hall in the office of the Recorder / Treasurer.
409 S Kanawha St,Beckley, WV 25801
Written Test Date
The Policeman’s Civil Service Commission of the City of Beckley will be giving an entry level Probationary Police Officer test on Thursday, October 23, 2014. The test will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be given at the Beckley-Raleigh County Convention Center, Incorporated
200 Armory Drive, Beckley WV, 25801.
Applications must be received by the deadline in order to take the exam. Photo Identification required.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Beckley Police Department. This web page is intended to provide interested persons with information concerning employment with the Beckley Police Department and is subject to change as needed.
You need the minimum to qualify for a job under civil service once a position is open.
• 18-40 yrs of age
"The bill to increase age in police civil service was passed and signed by the Governor on March 30, 2011, effective June 10, 2011."
• High school or GED
• Complete application
• Pass a written exam: The Applicants are placed on a Civil Service List ranked in the order of the test scores and credit for military service.
• Pass PT Test :
An applicant must attain a passing score on each event "Note Changes to PAT 09/08/2014"
1.5 Mile run Minute/Seconds
• Pass Polygraph and background
• Pass interview board
• Pass medical exam & Drug screening and psychological
Officer Base Salary and Benefits
After completion of one year $1,000.00 increase
$1,536.00 additional with a 4 year college degree
Vacation Leave ,accrue 80 hours first year
Holidays, currently 12 "Legal Holidays"
Retirement, City of Beckley Policemen's Pension & Relief Fund 20/50
Individual or Family Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
Life Insurance, $10,000 (no charge to employee)
Also, several other payroll deductible plans available to you as a City employee
Long term Disability Insurance
Supplemental Group Life Insurance
Beckley Police Officers are entrusted with responsibility to keep our city safe from crime. Therefore, a history of ethical and moral behavior is of the utmost importance. Your background will be looked at very closely. Candidates who have a history of unethical or immoral behavior will not be hired. You will be subjected to an intensive background evaluation, which will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Your past behavior and the choices you have made must demonstrate positive traits that will support your candidacy for Police Officer and reflect favorably on your character.
- You must have a history of lawful conduct.
- You must possess high standards of honesty and integrity as demonstrated by your dealings with individuals and organizations. Falsifying, misrepresenting, or omitting information on any document during the selection process will be closely scrutinized.
- You must respect the rights of all people and have an appreciation for diversity. A history of domestic violence, physical altercations, or discourteous, abusive, or violent treatment of others may indicate a lack of self-discipline, unwillingness or inability to cooperate, or a disregard for the rights of others.
- You must have a history of making responsible choices regarding the use of drugs and alcohol.
- Your employment, educational and military (if applicable) histories must demonstrate the motivation and success-orientation needed to succeed as a Police Officer.
- Your financial and driving records must demonstrate responsible decisions and appropriate behavior.
Equivalent Certification Process
Steps to Law Enforcement